Here's an insane story.

Today, I was working on merchandising Calvin Klein in the mens department (store is open at this time). During which, I was making very minimal noise. Nothing that I would presume would call attention to me. Mid-way through organizing the size runs of some shirts, This random caucasian lady, maybe in her 50's stopped to look at me. She looked at me puzzled for about 15 seconds and then words started coming out of her mouth. She said ' Oh! look at you sizing those shirts before moving it, I was wondering what you were doing. See! you're not dumb!'

WHAT

She said 'SEE, YOU'RE NOT DUMB' ?!?!

What the fuck just happened!? Who are you!?

I smiled at her looking confused and confusion quickly turned to anger. I was livid & my instinct was to ask her what she meant by her words. However my retail brain kicked in. I really did not want any conflict with a "customer" on my record, So I let it slide.

After gaining my thoughts, I started to calm down.

I noticed that I have a problem. A serious one.

I chose to not say anything back. I chose to keep quiet and let that lady ruin my day. I chose to let her roam around free in this world continuing to be ignorant. More so, I chose to re-assure her that her words had no affect on me even though it actually did. So tomorrow, she is going to walk up to someone else and say another hurtful statement. Ruining another persons day.

This will continue. Until someone decides to speak up and talk to her.

The next time, I am going to choose to speak up.

Comments

Popular Posts